This document contain the information needed to understand the Apple iBookstore requirements for distribution of electronic publications. For an overview of the interface, please refer to the Exporting files to external partners section.
- EPUB Files Only (ePub 2, ePub 3 or fixed layout)
- No activity books
- Files available for sale, except for pre-orders
- URIs (Uniform Resource Identifiers) must properly encode non-alphanumeric characters
- All files in the EPUB should be listed in the manifest (OPF file)
- Only UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings are allowed in EPUBs.
- All files in the EPUB are readable and unlocked
- Unique identification number (ISBN-13)
- Exact title as it appears on the cover
- At least one BISAC or CLIL classification
- Target audience for all titles with a Juvenile classification
- Number of pages
- Publication date of the ePub format
- Publication date of the paper format
- Price of the paper format
- iBookstore price, according to the country's trade tariff terms
- Main cover
Requirements for cover pages and other images
- No price or UPC code should appear on the cover or inside of the book
- Cover must be flatenend without 3D effects, and must not show the edge of the book
- All images must be RGB (not CMYK)
- Text in images must remain legible
- Images, in the ePub file, smaller than 4 million pixels (Width X Height < 4 000 000)
- Cover images (in the Medias section) must be bigger than 1400 pixels on each side
Requirements for connection to the external partner
- A valid contract
- Your ID (Provider ID)
- Access to the catalogue and accounting in your iTunesConnect account
- People in your organization who will have to have access to the Apple module.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the requirements to fulfill for a file to be shipped to a partner site?
The publication must be online, with a sales availability date, and the countries selected for sale, as well as all the metadata, must be provided (see above).
- When are the files and metadata shipped?
The metadata and files are sent as soon as possible, and the metadata is sent again when the availability date is reached.
- When is the metadata shipped again after it has been modified?
The metadata and cover page are shipped once per hour to all external partners, as soon as a change occurs.
- What delays are likely before a book is put on sale?
The book is put on line immediately if the sender / title is approved; otherwise, it takes a few days.
- Does the partner manage pre-orders?
Yes, in accordance with the set pre-order date.
- Does the partner manage future availability dates?
- Can we force the shipment of files and/or metadata to the partner?
Shipments are usually sent automatically. Your platform administrator can force the shipment of new files and/or metadata if necessary.
- What countries are available? (If some are not available to you, contact your platform administrator.)
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
- United States